Who can get a direct payments?

Anyone who is assessed as needing care services has the right to request a direct payment instead of having those services provided by their local council.

There are limited circumstances when direct payments are not awarded, however the majority of those already receiving, or those assessed as needing, services have a right to direct payments. These include:

  • older people who have been assessed as needing community care services
  • disabled people aged 16 and over, including those with short as well as long term needs
  • carers, in place of receiving carers’ services
  • families with disabled children
  • disabled parents